I do not claim this recipe as my own. I am simply sharing it on my blog for others to be able to find it. I like to have all the recipes I like in one place.
- 1.5 pounds lean ground beef
- salt and pepper
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans or lentils, rinsed and drained
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 3 cups Mexican-blend shredded cheese
- 1 batch red enchilada sauce, or 1 can store-bought enchilada sauce
- (optional: 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook the ground beef in a large saute pan over medium-high heat until it is browned and completely cooked through, using a spatula to break up the beef into small pieces as it cooks. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a separate bowl and set aside. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the remaining grease, and discard the rest.
- Add the onion to saute pan and cook for 5 minutes (in the reserved 1 tablespoon of grease) until is is soft and translucent. Stir in the green chiles and beans, and cook for 1 minute to warm, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from heat, and stir the ground beef and 1/4 cup enchilada sauce into the onion mixture until combined. Set aside.
- To assemble the enchiladas, set up an assembly line including: tortillas, enchilada sauce, ground beef mixture, and cheese. Lay out a tortilla, and spread two tablespoons of sauce over the surface of the tortilla. Portion about 1/8th of the ground beef mixture and spread it in a line down the center of the tortilla, then sprinkle with 1/3 cup cheese. Roll up tortilla and place in the prepared baking dish. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Spread any of the remaining enchilada sauce on top of the tortillas, then sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately, garnished with chopped fresh cilantro if desired.
Zapkode Marie http://www.zapkodemarie.net/